The word ‘alopecia’ simply means hair loss. If you are experiencing any more hair loss than what is normal for you, you are experiencing some type of alopecia. The next step is identifying which type of alopecia you have.

We recommend you first speak to a GP. If your GP is unable to make a diagnosis, they may refer you to a dermatologist. You can read more about the different types of alopecia here.

Please note, ‘alopecia’ is often used by doctors as an abbreviated way to discuss ‘alopecia areata’. This can be confusing when there are different types of alopecia too! If in any doubt as to what type of alopecia your GP is referring to, ask them to clarify.